Wednesday, June 3, 2009

A run before dinner

The first week of the Couch to 5K has officially been completed. In typical giant leap style I was on the verge of skipping the first week because it just seemed too easy and moving straight onto week 2 at the very least. Thankfully the lazy part of me took over figuring that if the first week was easy then all the better - no point pushing myself too hard is there?!

Well, it wasn't easy. The first few runs weren't a problem but by the 7th and 8th interval I was ready to give up the whole plan. Except then the following morning I would wake up disappointed that it wasn't a running day. That feeling would evaporate the next day and by the 7th interval I was back to cursing the whole idea.

Until Sunday that is. I had spent all day doing things I was supposed to, like cleaning the house, painting a door frame, cooking for my family who were coming around in the evening for dinner. The Final Week 1 Run lingered on my to-do list when everything else got crossed off. I was genuinely disappointed when 40 minutes before they turned up, I had only just finished cleaning my brush and closing the paint tin. I was torn between for once in my life having everything ready when my guests turned up like a domestic goddess versus hearing that sweet sweet voice whisper softly in my ear "if you have completed your first week, congratulations." I chose the voice.

I followed his commands running when he told me, walking when he told me and paying attention to keeping my body loose when he told me. And then, without warning, he stopped talking to me! The little red light flashed on my Ipod and he was gone like the battery. I persevered without him to complete the last four intervals but I was devastated. All week, well on two other occasions, I had waited for that glorious moment when he would praise me for finishing week 1 *bursts into tears* and I never got to hear it!

Oh and if you have no idea what I'm talking about, as suggested by Cammy (Thank you oh so much) C25K have a podcast for each of their running weeks and they are the absolutemostbestthingeverandIdon'tknowhowIcouldhavedoneitwithoutyouRob *swoon* And better yet than all this fitness/health/strength/good for heart mumbo jumbo I found out that I can put podcasts on my wee little Shuffle. Which means....I can become well versed in a foreign language while I walk! Ha ha, no more listening to the birds for me!

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on making it through your first full week of Couch to 5K! You will totally rock the 5K, I already know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Hmmm that podcast sounds very useful. Will have to look into it. I like having a little voice to keep me going!

    - Sagan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you didn't get your much-deserved praise! Especially considering the extreme hardship of finishing without the cues! ::heaps and heaps of praise upon your head!::

    I'm trying to do the Coffee Break Spanish, but I keep having to start over at lesson one because I forget I'm supposed to be doing it.

    Adios!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - Thanks for the encouragement. Now I really have to :-)

    Sagan - The podcast is wonderful.

    Cammy - You are way too kind, it's only the first week! Hhm Coffee Break Spanish; will have to check that out too. Muchos gracias :-)

    ReplyDelete

 

fleet phospho soda