Thursday, May 14, 2009

There's no sense in not liking yourself

I woke slowly, my consciousness returning after a long, deep sleep. My first thought was the same as every day; 'I don't' want to get up, it's so nice and warm in here.' The second; 'Hey look, I'm still here! Same thoughts, same issues, same me!' No, I don't' usually acknowledge my state of being when I wake up, except fro hunger that is.

Before I went to bed, I had looked up some song lyrics from an Aussie musical comedian - Tim Minchin - that I had watched a documentary on a few weeks ago. I've been to his performances before and he is a wonderful entertainer, with a dark sense of humour. Anyhow, the song was "Not Perfect" (check out the full song, it's great) and the lyrics I was interested in where these:

This is my body
And I live in it
It's twenty nine and twelve months old (Note: Will remember this line for when I turn 30!)
It's changed a lot since it was new
It's done stuff it wasn't built to do
I often try to fill it up with wine
And the weirdest thing about it is
I spend so much time hating it
But it never says a bad word about me

This is my body
And it's fine
It's where I spend the vast majority of my time
It's not perfect, but it's mine

So here I was again, another morning in the same body. And I bet tomorrow will be the same too, because I like Tim spend most of my time in my body, except for the occasional out of body experience obviously.

Now, just think about the pointlessness of not liking what you have been give. It might not be perfect, but hopefully I have a long time on this earth and if that's the case then I better get used to what I have, because quite frankly I'm kinda stuck here until I take my last breath. Unlike a bad marriage or job for example, I can't leave which give me two options; a) keep pointing out all my faults and make each day just that little bit more unhappy; or b) learn to love it.

Making the most of a bad situation then? Well, when you put it that way, perhaps the reflection is much better than I first thought!

3 comments:

  1. Wow...thank you for sharing that. I watched the video and looked up the complete lyrics, and can't find the words to describe how much I enjoyed it!

    I was actually telling my husband about you and your citrus trees this morning. What we wouldn't give to have started growing an orchard and trying to live a more sustainable life at your age, instead of our forties! But it's our orchard, and we live in it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having lost a friend who was paraplegic and another friend who had cancer 3 times, I can't help but be grateful for having the body I've been given. Fluffy belly and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patty - I'm really glad you enjoyed the video. Thanks very much, but it's great that you are doing it regardless.

    Cammy - I'm really sorry to hear about your friends. It's sad that sometimes we need something really awful to appreciate what we have. Thank you for the reminder

    ReplyDelete

 

fleet phospho soda